Sunday 1 December 2013

The green bastard spaghetti (curly kale pesto with stilton)



This is getting ridiculous: It's 9 PM, I'm posting this blog (blogging this post?) and helping myself to a second sitting of this... I should post a warning that it is addictive.

I was never a fan of kale. Why would you - it's tasteless. Well, it isn't, it has a taste: it is bitter and reminds me of antibiotics. Anyway, you knew this was coming - I cooked the green bastard and I love it now. I want to buy more kale tomorrow.

The cheese gives it a savoury mouthwatering taste, which combined with the kale pesto-smothered spaghetti, a slice of fresh ciabatta and a glass of red wine makes this dish a true evening sensation...
And the recipe is sooo easy you wouldn't believe!

Ingredients:
1) 100g chopped curly kale
2) 2 garlic cloves
3) 4 tbsp grated parmesan
4) 3 tbsp oil
5) 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
6) 6 basil leaves

7) 150g spaghetti
8) 50g crumbled stilton or other salty cheese (you can double that if you want!)


Directions:
1) Blanch the kale with boiling water, then drain.
2) Blitz the first 6 ingredients in food processor.
3) Cook the pasta and then mix with the blitzed pesto and add the cheese.


Goes exceptionally well with a glass of red wine. I have managed to accidentally make a perfect pairing - with full-bodied 2007 rioja riserva which had a hint of vanilla oak. You can also get yourself a nice loaf of bread to lick the plate clean, because you're going to want to.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment